Friday, July 27, 2012

Piece of cake



About a year and a half ago, my then 10-year-old asked to frost a cake I'd made. She wanted to decorate it, but we had no frosting tools. 

I suggested she use the ol' snip-the-corner-off-a-sandwich-bag trick. 

This is what she came up with: 



With a sandwich bag! Well, three. One for each color. We took it with us to our Easter fellowship dinner after church!

It turns out that our local Walmart has a cake decorating aisle. I bought my budding baker some frosting tips for less than $5 and turned her loose. I also have a friend who is a professional that gave her a few pointers. Talk to your local bakeries and hobby stores and ask about a class.





She also likes ideas that require no special tools.

Fruit-by-the-Foot
A cookie-cutter heart from scraps


The nice thing about cake-decorating kids? 

Their supplies are inexpensive, readily available, and pretty easy to clean up. Also, their "mistakes" are delicious!





No comments:

Post a Comment